b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tehom: Divine or Not Divine?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tehom: Divine or Not Divine?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 05:41:23 +0000

On 7/13/06, K Randolph wrote:
[...]
While $amayim may usually used as a natural
> term, examples such as Job 28:12-13 suggest that a
> parallelism with $mym does not deny the meaning as the
> great Chaotic Sea god that God vanquished in bringing
> order to the world.

For crying out loud, Job is poetry. Even in poetry, there is
absolutely no reference to God vanquishing the deep, rather the
subject of this passage is where wisdom comes from. This
anthropomorphizing the deep is no different than saying that the trees
clap their hands in joy (Isaiah 55:12). By the way, you got the verse
numbers wrong.

While I consider my reply to Karl and James, I just wanted to point
out that Karl is absolutely right on this last sentence. Job 26:12-13 is
intended. Sorry for the confusion.

Yitzhak Sapir
http://toldot.blogspot.com