b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tehom: Divine or Not Divine?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tehom: Divine or Not Divine?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:13:06 -0700

Yitzhak:

Even the corrected verses are poetry. Further, the translation of
these verses are that God stills the sea (as did Jesus in Matthew
8:26) and tramples the proud underfoot. The next verse is somewhat
difficult to interpret, but I understand "in his spirit the heavens
are commonly bright, his hand makes a bar strong."

Still no sign of a primeval fight in the pattern of Enuma Elish.

Karl W. Randolph.

On 7/12/06, Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com> wrote:
On 7/13/06, K Randolph wrote:
[...]
>> While $amayim may usually used as a natural
> > term, examples such as Job 28:12-13 suggest that a
> > parallelism with $mym does not deny the meaning as the
> > great Chaotic Sea god that God vanquished in bringing
> > order to the world.
> >
> For crying out loud, Job is poetry. Even in poetry, there is
> absolutely no reference to God vanquishing the deep, rather the
> subject of this passage is where wisdom comes from. This
> anthropomorphizing the deep is no different than saying that the trees
> clap their hands in joy (Isaiah 55:12). By the way, you got the verse
> numbers wrong.

While I consider my reply to Karl and James, I just wanted to point
out that Karl is absolutely right on this last sentence. Job 26:12-13 is
intended. Sorry for the confusion.

Yitzhak Sapir
http://toldot.blogspot.com