b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:4
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 21:24:05 +0100

So, I suppose, by extension, you would say that Genesis 37:2
is attributing authorship of the record Esau's descendents
to Jacob?

אלה תלדות יעקב

This would explain why the formula ואלה תלדות עשו
is repeated twice in Genesis 36.

This leaves a rather sticky problem. Why is there no
authorship signature for Genesis 37:2b - 50:26?

Also of great interest I find it that Genesis 1:1-2:3
does not make use of the formula יהוה אלהים. In fact,
the divine name is not used at all. This combined with
Genesis 4:26 which makes the claim אז הוחל לקרא בשם יהוה
.
This looks suspiciously like Genesis 1:1-2:3 was made
before men started using Yah's personal name and that
the author of Genesis 2:4-4:26 made use of it (With
such an ending I suspect the author may have been Seth
who got the information about what transpired in the
garden of Eden and between Cain and Abel from his
father Adam). In fact, the formula יהוה אלהים
seems to be characteristc of Genesis 2:4-4:26 and is
repeated many times. I find it of particular note that
the first time we see this formula is in Genesis 2:4,
the very verse in question.

James C. Read
UKhe formula יהוה אלהים. In fact,