b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] One scholar's' opinion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] One scholar's' opinion
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 22:39:01 +0100

Shoshanna wrote:
It's our tradition, I don't have the sources.

They were created, had the children, and sinned and got expelled -
all in one day.
END QUOTE

JCR: But this would present a number of problems which
are irreconcilable with the biblical account. The most
important obstacle you would have to overcome is why
on earth the children would grow old and die if they
had never committed this original sin. Secondly, you
would have to come up with a reasonable internal
textual reason for why the birth of children is only
mentioned after the expulsion narrative in a new
narrative which is clearly post-expulsion in context.

Joel wrote:
It important to note that she is the mother of _all_ living. This is
not just humans but part of her calling. Just as Adam gets to till the
earth and take care of things, Eve gets to mother everything. These
are archetypal symbols.
END QUOTE

JCR: Enjoying the 4th July festivities? Haven't been
drinking by any chance have you?

So, let me get this straight... Contrary to accepted
tradition and the internal testimony of Proverbs 8:22-24
the earth, heavens and water already existed before
Genesis 1:1, barah doesn't mean create because that
would contradict your theory that the author of Genesis
copied from ancient creation myths, and in line with
other mythical stories Eve was the mother of all the
animals? I'm noticing an interesting pattern in all of
your theories. They all seem to share the same basic
common elements:

a) They contradict accepted tradition
b) They could be offensive to many who hold their faith
dear
c) They all seem to be influenced by extra biblical
texts and or pagan religious texts
d) They all depend on an entirely spurious linguistic
line of 'evidence'
e) They are all completely unprovable
f) None of them stand up to close linguistic and/or
textual scrutiny/analysis

James C. Read
UK

0atradition and the internal testimony of Proverbs 8:22-24