b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] One scholar's' opinion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] One scholar's' opinion
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 07:40:04 -0500

Peter Kirk wrote:

How about Genesis 17:5? I would have expected you to find that one, Harold. Of course he wasn't the father of many nations before he died, for at that time he had only a few descendants, not whole nations of them. So he must have been that after he died.

HH: I saw the verse, but it does not use "hayah."

Indeed, but I thought you were questioning James' "Abraham lived and died and yet will always be considered the father of many nations", and suggesting that this was stated only in the New Testament.

HH: No, we were discussing whether "was" can be a proper translation in cases where a deceased person's legacy is discussed, and when the legacy often did not develop until after the person's death and has lasting reality.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard