b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] One scholar's' opinion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] One scholar's' opinion
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 23:46:55 +0100

HH: You mean Gen 3:22, and you mean "has become." But this verse is not
looking back at what is strictly past. It views the past action as part
of the present reality (perfect tense), so it is not exactly like some
of the other verses we've discussed.

JCR: Yes. Thanks for understanding my mistakes in advance.
But how can Eve's becoming mother of all the living
and Jubal's becoming the father of all the flute and
harp players not like each other? To me they couldn't
be any close in nature.

Eve, though dead, is the mother of all the living.
Abraham, though dead, is the father of many nations.
Jubal, though dead, is the father of all the harp
and flute playes or at least was considered so by the
author at the time of writing.