b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:19
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 10:34:44 -0700

Kenneth:

This is a grammatical question. It is well attested to on this forum
that Biblical Hebrew was largely tenseless in its verb forms, rather
they were aspectual. So this verse could just as well refer to the
animals that God had formed previous to forming man as a second
creation. The context of chapter one indicates a previous forming for
the animals.

The translation of "them" is English grammar, the Hebrew carries the
concept of each one. This is not an uncommon practice in Hebrew.

Karl W. Randolph.