b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] oral law

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] oral law
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 11:19:14 -0500

Shoshanna:

Not all agree that to "bind them as a sign upon your
hands" refers to a physical object, rather that the
meaning of the words should be a guide to actions,
and likewise "blinders upon your eyes" says that love
for God will restrain your eyes from regarding that
which is displeasing to God.

This interpretation is an action rather than object
based understanding of the verse, giving a reason
that the particulars of Tefillin were not given was
because Tefillin were not mean in the passage.
Which raises the question, when were Tefillin
invented?

Karl W. Randolph.