b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] oral law

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] oral law
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 13:42:29 -0500

Dear Karl

All of halachic Judaism, for the past thousands of years, agree that the four references to Tefilin in the Torah refer to a physical object. LeKasher means to tie something, literally. Four paragraphs are included, one containing our obligation to remember the Exodus, one speaking of our obligation to transmit this tradition to our children, the Shma, speaking of G-d's unity and our mutual bond of love, and one declaring man's responsibility towards G-d.

Shoshanna

Shoshanna:

Not all agree that to "bind them as a sign upon your
hands" refers to a physical object, rather that the
meaning of the words should be a guide to actions,
and likewise "blinders upon your eyes" says that love
for God will restrain your eyes from regarding that
which is displeasing to God.

This interpretation is an action rather than object
based understanding of the verse, giving a reason
that the particulars of Tefillin were not given was
because Tefillin were not mean in the passage.
Which raises the question, when were Tefillin
invented?

Karl W. Randolph.