b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] new student

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <george.athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] new student
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:42:17 +1100

Sorry Michael, but I have to disagree with you over Lambdin. I felt he had
the right idea, but his understanding of Hebrew syntax left a lot to be
desired.

I learnt Hebrew off Seow's first edition, to which the second edition was a
vast improvement. Allen Ross' grammar is also not bad.

The problems I see with most introductory grammars these days, though, are
that they try to be both an introduction to the language as well as a
reference work, and unfortunately fall short of achieving both. Furthermore,
our understanding of Hebrew verbs and syntax is developing considerably
beyond notions of tense and aspect. If I can put in a little plug for
myself, I am working on an introductory grammar (along with Ian Young of
Sydney University) which comes at Hebrew verbs not from the temporal or
aspectual perspective, but a spatial perspective. It will be a few years yet
before it's out; we're still trialing it here at a number of institutions in
Sydney with very positive responses and aiming to refine it for a few years
before publishing.

Best Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS

Moore Theological College