b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:42:50 -0500

Yitzhak:

Really, you shouldn't show off your ignorance like
that. This answer feels like second semester first
year Biblical Hebrew, not a discussion among
scholars.

L( is listed in the dictionary as L((, but as
typical of double-ayin verbs only one is written.
It means "to belittle".

QBR you recognized.

Z is the only word in this inscription that is not
attested to in Tanakh. From the context it is
recognizable as ZH. Probably a dialectal variance.

LHSR infinitive Hiphil verb, found in dictionaries
as SWR. Many Hiphils in Tanakh do not have the
middle yod, so that lack here is no surprise.

H(DW prefixed H for the definite article. (D is
a noun. W suffix masculine possessive. From the
context, it points back to Z.

DMYT from the lamed-he verb DMH, normally
conjugated.

LMRT prefixed L, the noun means "bitterness".

That you couldn't recognize something as simple as
this inscription calls into question all your other
claims. To me it looks as if you need to go back to
school and take first year Biblical Hebrew. Then
you need to read Tanakh cover to cover, at least
two or three times. Then, maybe then, you'll be
ready to discuss intelligently on this list.

Your argument seems to be that because you have
studied Ugaritic, that qualifies you as a Hebrew
scholar. That you could not understand a simple
inscription shows how little Hebrew you know.

Karl W. Randolph.