b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:04:01 +0000

On 2/10/06, Karl Randolph wrote:
> Yitzhak:
>
> Really, you shouldn't show off your ignorance like
> that. This answer feels like second semester first
> year Biblical Hebrew, not a discussion among
> scholars.

Karl, please stop with the personal attacks. They
don't get you any closer to convincing anybody.

And this isn't a discussion among scholars. I'm
not a scholar. You're not a scholar. A scholar
carries with it the meaning of having attended
school or being guided by a teacher.

Now what does "Belittle this grave to turn away
???? you were like bitterness" mean? It seems
like a bunch of words that you grouped together.

> H(DW prefixed H for the definite article. (D is
> a noun. W suffix masculine possessive. From the
> context, it points back to Z.

Since when is the -W possessive suffix attached
to a word with the definite article?

> That you couldn't recognize something as simple as
> this inscription calls into question all your other
> claims. To me it looks as if you need to go back to
> school and take first year Biblical Hebrew. Then
> you need to read Tanakh cover to cover, at least
> two or three times. Then, maybe then, you'll be
> ready to discuss intelligently on this list.

Well, you are the only one who "recognizes" this
inscription, anyway.

> Your argument seems to be that because you have
> studied Ugaritic, that qualifies you as a Hebrew
> scholar. That you could not understand a simple
> inscription shows how little Hebrew you know.

It seems that in all the personal attacks, you forgot to
explain what makes this inscription "Proto-Sinaitic."
The inscription, in any case, is not Hebrew.

Yitzhak Sapir