b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 02:47:53 -0500

Yitzhak:

Oh, so you can dish out personal attacks, in the
form of snide remarks and straw man arguments, but
when I take you to task personally for your evident
lack of knowledge of Hebrew, you complain. When I
was young, we had a special scorn for those who
would dish it out, but couldn't take it.

> And this isn't a discussion among scholars. I'm
> not a scholar. You're not a scholar. A scholar
> carries with it the meaning of having attended
> school or being guided by a teacher.

You have a predecessor in the form of Humpty Dumpty
in "Alice through the Looking Glass" who defined
words just the way he wanted to. If that's the way
you want to define "scholar", it's not worth
arguing over.

> Now what does "Belittle this grave to turn away
> ???? you were like bitterness" mean? It seems
> like a bunch of words that you grouped together.

What sort of weird "translation" is this?

ZH following a noun does not modify the noun,
except when both have a definite article. ZH often
stands alone to refer to "this thing", "this
action" or other similar use. Pictured on the stone
is music and dance, then the statement below states
"a grave belittles this" which, in context, refers
to the music and dance.

Hiphil of SWR has the idea of "removing" (causing
to turn aside to leave), used for example of David
removing Goliath's head.

(D could refer either to "witness" or "time", or
did the author of this stone use this as a pun to
refer to both?

DMH is also one of the variant spellings for "to be
still, silent" which does fit the context, because
of bitterness one does not have song and dance but
is still.

These are the mistakes I'd expect from a first year
student, not someone who claims to know Hebrew
well.

> > H(DW prefixed H for the definite article. (D is
> > a noun. W suffix masculine possessive. From the
> > context, it points back to Z.
>
> Since when is the -W possessive suffix attached
> to a word with the definite article?

How about Job 40:19 "the his maker" and Micah 2:12
"as a flock in the its ???" (the word is listed as
used only twice in Tanakh, its meaning is
uncertain). If I looked, I probably could find
more.

> > That you couldn't recognize something as simple as
> > this inscription calls into question all your other
> > claims. To me it looks as if you need to go back to
> > school and take first year Biblical Hebrew. Then
> > you need to read Tanakh cover to cover, at least
> > two or three times. Then, maybe then, you'll be
> > ready to discuss intelligently on this list.
>
> Well, you are the only one who "recognizes" this
> inscription, anyway.

What sort of snide remark is this?

> > Your argument seems to be that because you have
> > studied Ugaritic, that qualifies you as a Hebrew
> > scholar. That you could not understand a simple
> > inscription shows how little Hebrew you know.
>
> It seems that in all the personal attacks, you forgot to
> explain what makes this inscription "Proto-Sinaitic."
> The inscription, in any case, is not Hebrew.

What is it then?