b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:15:52 +0100

Karl, Steve,

I think it may be possible to have some sort of access to the biblical texts
by means of a theological dictionary. However, to just learn Hebrew is much
less time-consuming than to study the Hebrew text via an English
translation, based on more or less arbitrary choices of translations. Hebrew
is the short-cut! I mean, here in my tiny appartment I think I have about
four English translations of Tanach, I think Jewish Publication Society,
ArtScroll's Stone ed., New English Bible (I guess a text backed by many
churches in the UK), and the New Revised Standard Version. All of those have
their own advantages and disadvantages, but would all of those require their
own theological dictionary?

Style is one thing, but what do we do with a word like תבה teva?
In Genesis 6,14, "Stone" translates תבה "Ark", NRSV, JPS, NEB translate
"ark".
In Exodus 2,3, "Stone", NRSV, JPS, and NEB translate תבה "basket".
Then we have another word, ארון aron.
In Deuteronomy 10,1, "Stone", JPS and NSVB translate ארון "ark"; NEB
translates "a woorden chest, an ark".

How does a theological dictionary resolve this confusing matter? If you take
such a book and look for the word "ark", does it say that both Hebrew תבה
and ארון are, in different contexts, rendered "ark", ánd does it also say
that one of the words that are sometimes translated "ark", i.e. תבה, are
sometimes translated "basket"? If it gets so complicated, surely learning
Hebrew is a lot simpler. It's not thát difficult a language, there is quite
some logic in it, and you don't have to acquire active knowledge, since you
won't meet any native speakers of Biblical Hebrew ;)

Best regards,
Herman