b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 12:35:19 -0500

Herman:

Please refer to what I wrote:

"While spoken language has vowels, Hebrew written
language at the time had only consonants."

I make a distinction between written and spoken
language. It is the consonantal text that was inspired in
the original autographs, not the vowels that were added
to the written text much later.

As to the question of memorization on this question, that
is largely irrelevant, as people memorize according to the
pronunciations they receive. What the record seems to
show is that those pronunciations have changed over
time and place. While people in other societies perform
what we consider as amazing feats of memorization, the
accuracy of their memories can probably be best summed
up by the Chinese proverb, "The palest ink is stronger
than the strongest memory."

In other words, any teaching held only in memory is open
to corruption based on fading memories.

I have not questioned the grammatical categories, for
once having learned them, I can see them in practice as
I read the texts. What I question is specific verses where
the evidence seems to indicate that the Masoretes may
have remembered incorrectly the pronunciation indicating
which grammatical category applies. But as I repeatedly
claim, those specific verses are few and far between.

As for text criticism, the standard "lectio difficilior potior"
is a human invention, that sometimes contradicts context
and meaning. It is not a scientific standard. Some time
back, I gave the specific example of Proverbs 1:19 where
it is almost impossible to read it according to the points
preserved by the Masoretes. Rather what is pointed as a
compound verb should be read as a participle, followed
by a shegolate noun. (A Google search should be able to
find it in the b-hebrew site)

So also in Zechariah 6:8, context gives an argument that
the verb is Qal.

Karl W. Randolph.