b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Karl Randolph'" <kwrandolph AT email.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 00:08:33 -0500

Thanks Karl,
I appreciate your sharing the word $W(. This word is very similar to Z(Q,
often used in the same verse. The difference seems to me to be that $W(
involves humbling oneself while Z(Q does not.

All the examples you give below where Z(Q does not mean a cry for help or in
distress are not the Qal form. The Qal form always is a cry for help or in
distress. The Niphal and Hiphil forms are derived from the Qal, but would
not be expected to have the same meaning as the Qal.

The Niphal is always to be assembled for an emergency. That is the case in
Judges 18:22-23. To be assembled for an emergency is to be made to hear a
cry for help.

The Hiphil is the question. One meaning is to assemble people or things for
an emergency, the exact active form of the Niphal. This is the case in
Judges 4:13. Sisera assembled his chariots because he was being attacked by
Barak.

But there is at least one Hiphil that cannot mean "assemble" (Job 35:9).
Jonah 3:7 probably means the king caused the people to cry out. Or maybe it
could mean that the king assembled the people, but there is no direct
object. In either case it was for an emergency. They believed Jonah's
message that God was going to destroy them.

The Theological Wordbook of the OT says re. Z(Q: 'The basic meaning of this
root is "to cry for help in time of distress." It is used mainly in the
QAL, but occurs a few times in the Niphal and Hiphil, where it carries
distinctive meanings. ...
In the Qal stem, the word is used almost exclusively in reference to a cry
from a disturbed heart, in need of some kind of help. The cry is not in
summons of another, but an expression of the need felt. ... In only one
instance is the idea of summons involved, and that is when Jephthah called
for Ephraimites to assist him against the Ammonites (Jud. 12:2). This is
still a cry for help.'
Yours,
-Steve