b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 12:49:55 -0500

Steve:

I will back up HH in this. Z(Q, though often used in the
context that such a cry was a cry for help, was not in itself
a cry for help. The word for "to cry for help" is $W(.

In Judges 4:13, Siserah cried out, giving commands as
the commander, this was not a cry for help. Again in
Jonah 3:7 the king cried out, giving commands.

In Judges 18:22-23, Mikah"s crying out was one of
complaint, that the tribe of Dan was stealing from him.
He was not calling out to them for help.

Now if I did a full study of all the occurrences, I expect to
find many more such examples. Basically, the verb means
to cry out, and the context tells what is the content of that
crying out.

Karl W. Randolph.