b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 01:21:53 +0000

@Steve:

> SM: Kelton, I do not follow your logic. You say that because Z`Q can take
> an
> indirect object preceded by EL, then the direct object of the hiphil form
> of
> Z`Q cannot be caused to do the action, in this case, Crying out for help.

Response: That is not quite what I meant. Let me try to do it this way.

1.The verb Z'Q means to "call out."
2. HALOT says when it is followed by an accusative it means to "call out to
someone."
3. This makes sense because when one calls/ addresses, they are
calling/addressing "someone else". That is why this particular verb Z'Q is
normally followed by "EL." Because EL is used in order to illustrate this.
i.e. "I called out to my mother" Likewise here in Zech 6:8, he is being
addressed/called out too.

In Gen 20:13 you don't wonder someone else, you only call out to someone
else. Does that make sense? Because this verb is addressing someone.

Steve> So you say T`H is not a good example because it does not take an
indirect > object. Then, how about KRB, draw near? It can take an indirect
object
> preceeded by EL. In the hiphil, cause to draw near, the direct object of
> the
> hiphil verb is the one that draws near. i.e. Exo 29:4 And you shall cause
> Aaron and his sons to draw near to the door of the tabernacle ..
> -Steve Miller,
> Detroit

Response: I understand your point, but it is a little different that what I
was discussing above. Because KRB is not addressing someone like Z'Q is. By
the way what part of Detroit do you live? I live in Detroit as well. Right
off of 6 mile.