b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] KY interrogative? was Deuteronomy 20:19 )DM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] KY interrogative? was Deuteronomy 20:19 )DM
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 03:10:31 +0000

@Karl:

What's a BDAG?

Response: A Greek Lexicon of The New Testament and Other Christian Literature.

It is one of the best Greek lexicons out right now just as HALOT is probably
the best Hebrew lexicon out right now.

> ----------------------------------

Karl:I got the right verse, I also read to make sure the
contextual verses around it as well.

I read the KY here as introducing a subordinate clause
that is a statement indicating why God will bless David.
Saul is stating a principle, hence his use of the third
person here, then returns to David in the second person.
If H.A.L.O.T. disagrees with me here, then I think that
H.A.L.O.T. is wrong.

Response: Tell you what, translate the verse for me without making it a
rhetorical question and see if it makes sense. If you make it a rhetorical
question, then one must ask why did you make it a question, if not, then I'd
like to see you make sense out of it. But note the NIV and NASB, and NET all
have it as rhetorical question. And I did supply two sources both of which
are realible to explain where it came from, so I'd like to see your thinking
on this one.

Karl:Thus I find the claim that KY can introduce an interrogative
without the presence of an interrogative prefixed H- has
no basis other than two disputed verses (that these are
in fact questions), therefore the whole concept itself is
questionable.

Response: Well, I've tried to give you sources and verses to go along with
it, that is about the extent of my resources on this verse. So if you don't
think they are questions the only thing I would ask is for an alternate
translation then we can probably call it quits unless someone else has any
suggestions.

Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net