b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] KY interrogative? was Deuteronomy 20:19 )DM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] KY interrogative? was Deuteronomy 20:19 )DM
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 05:03:54 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net

> @Karl:
>

> What's a BDAG?
>
> Response: A Greek Lexicon of The New Testament and Other Christian
> Literature.
>
> It is one of the best Greek lexicons out right now just as HALOT is
> probably the best Hebrew lexicon out right now.

I thought mine is the best. ;-)

> > ----------------------------------
>
> Karl:I got the right verse, I also read to make sure the
> contextual verses around it as well.
>
> I read the KY here as introducing a subordinate clause
> that is a statement indicating why God will bless David.
> Saul is stating a principle, hence his use of the third
> person here, then returns to David in the second person.
> If H.A.L.O.T. disagrees with me here, then I think that
> H.A.L.O.T. is wrong.
>
> Response: Tell you what, translate the verse for me without making
> it a rhetorical question and see if it makes sense. If you make it
> a rhetorical question, then one must ask why did you make it a
> question, if not, then I'd like to see you make sense out of it.
> But note the NIV and NASB, and NET all have it as rhetorical
> question. And I did supply two sources both of which are realible
> to explain where it came from, so I'd like to see your thinking on
> this one.
>
> Karl:Thus I find the claim that KY can introduce an interrogative
> without the presence of an interrogative prefixed H- has
> no basis other than two disputed verses (that these are
> in fact questions), therefore the whole concept itself is
> questionable.
>
> Response: Well, I've tried to give you sources and verses to go
> along with it, that is about the extent of my resources on this
> verse. So if you don't think they are questions the only thing I
> would ask is for an alternate translation then we can probably call
> it quits unless someone else has any suggestions.
>
> --
> Kelton Graham
> KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net

And when David finished to speak these words to Saul
that Saul said, Is this your voice my son David? and Saul
lifted his voice and wept. And he said unto David, You are
more just than I, for you acted well towards me and I have
acted badly towards you. And today you set before
(reported) that good which you did with me, that which
YHWH locked me up in your hands and you did not kill
me. And when a man finds his enemy and sends him away
on a good road that YHWH will make you full of goodness
because of this day which you did to me.

In verse 20, I read Saul as starting the sentence with a
subordinate clause stating a principle, the reason that
YHWH will bless David. As such this is not a question,
at least not in Hebrew.

In light of the recent discussion of literal verses ideational
translations, this passage would almost be unintelligible
as a word for word translation. Even this quick translation
could be greatly polished for smoother reading in English.