b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] KY interrogative? was Deuteronomy 20:19 )DM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] KY interrogative? was Deuteronomy 20:19 )DM
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 02:29:50 +0000

Karl:Kelton:

No, I don't have H.A.L.O.T.
Response: Oh man, if you have the money you should get it, it is the BDAG of
Hebrew in my eyes.
----------------------------------

Karl:I don't see how 1 Samuel 24:19 is an
interrogative. Saul is making a statement to
David after David once again did not take
advantage of an opportunity to kill Saul for
trying to murder him.
Response: Oh, I think I gave you the English verses, it is verse 20 in the
Hebrew text.
V:KIY-YIM:C' 'IY$ ET-'OY:BW W:$LLXW B:DEDEK
"and if a man finds his adversary, should he let him go away safely?"
Well, let me give you what HALOT has. It says
W:KIY introducing a rhetorical question: is it that? I Sam 24:20, Isaiah
36:19; and that is all it list. It list a negative but that one has a H
particle in it.

I introduced to this discussion why Isaiah
36:19 should not be considered where KY
introduces an interrogative.

What other examples does H.A.L.O.T. give?

This interchange has been really educational
to me. Thanks all.

Response: I know, you gave a good answer, but it list Isaiah 36:19 as one of
the examples of KIY introducing a rhetorical question and that is all the
examples it gives.
--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 at comcast.net