b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] KY interrogative? was Deuteronomy 20:19 )DM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] KY interrogative? was Deuteronomy 20:19 )DM
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:08:37 -0500

Kelton:

This comes down to for end a dictionary is written. Most
dictionaries are written to aid in translating, hence they
will hold the translator's hand and suggest ways that make
for the smoothest rendition in the target language. HALOT
sounds like an excellent translator's dictionary.

I wrote my dictionary because I was looking for a tool
to help me to get inside Biblical Hebrew, as much as
possible to read Tanakh as an ancient Hebrew would
have done. There is no attempt to help a translator. Let
him use a thesaurus! There are ways of speaking that
would be awkward, even impossible, to translate directly
into English, but may work well in, let's say, Japanese.
Discussions like this help me improve my dictionary and
for this I thank you.

This verse is an example of the above. In Hebrew, it
makes sense as a statement, but it is terribly awkward to
translate into English. HALOT holds your hand and says
to translate it as a rhetorical question. I admit that the
verse comes out smoothly in English as a rhetorical
question, but now we're talking English usage, not
Hebrew.

HALOT's other example is more clearly not a KY
introducing a question in Hebrew, but it may again be
an easier way to translate into English. Again HALOT
is helping with English, not Hebrew.

Almost all that I now know of Tanakh I have read in
Hebrew, not in translation.

Thank you and Harold and others for this discussion.

Karl W. Randolph.