b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Eccl 1:4 was Re: Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Eccl 1:4 was Re: Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite)
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:13:01 -0000

Dear Dave,

In connection with my intermediate exam in Hebrew many years ago, I was assigned
Ecclesiastes as a book for special study, linguistically, philologically,
historically, and theologically. After that I have kept an eye on this
book and the different viewpoints regarding it that have been presented.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by "not making a theological statement,"
but your short description represent one view of the book, and other
scholars have other views. Be that as it may. The point here is what the
translator conveys to the reader and what s/he should convey.

You appeal to "the genre... and to the immediate and wider context " of the book, and that should
of course be taken into account by the one interpreting its text (which in my view basically should be the reader). But what about the sayings of the book itself? In 1:1 it is said that the author of
the book is "son of David, king in Jerusalem," and that can only refer to
Solomon. This means that the claim of the book is that the material comes
from the start of the fist millennium BCE. Few scholars would accept such an
early date for the book, but is it the duty of the translators to force
scholarly consensus upon the readers? Such a concencus can be wrong, as has
been shown over and over again.

Your words regarding Qohelet seem to contradict the claim of 1:1. I am not
arguing in favor of the authorship of Solomon in this post; neither am I
arguing against it. It is extremely difficult to date biblical books on
linguistic grounds, and the language of Qohelet is quite different from many
other books and makes it even more difficult. Attempts to show examples of Rabbinic Hebrew in the book (e.g. the relative conjunction) have turned out to be unfounded. Frankly speaking,
I am not aware of a single datum, linguistic or otherwise, that definitely
would rule out that Qohelet was written in the first part of the first
millennium BCE.

And here is the dilemma for Bible translators: How much interpretative
material should they include in the translation? Modern Bible translations
include huge amonuts of the biases and theology of the translators, because
they think it is their duty to do the interpretation in behalf of the readers.
This leaves the readers at the mercy of the translators, and I often am
tempted to say: "Poor readers!" Because of this, it is my view that even
those making an idiomatic translation should strive to be as neutral as
possible to the text. In connection with Qohelet this means that their
translations should neither be influenced by their view of Eccl. 1:1 nor by
the views that you present. Such a neutrality is of course much easier to
excercise in connection with a strictly literal translation, and therefore
such translations are valuable.

Regarding Eccl. 1:4, it is my view that "time indefinite" is a neutral
rendering, since the readers must decide whether this refers to eternality
or to a limited time, while "for ever" is interpretative, and the readers
cannot do anything but accept the views of the translator.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>