b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite)
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 08:30:56 -0500

Kelton & Rolf:

For my 2ยข worth:

Words from the (LM root do not have a clear English
equivalent as far as I can tell. A single gloss won't fit.

I think it has the basic meaning of being unknown, which
in the Hiphil "cause to be unknown" i.e. to hide.

(WLM refers to a span of time of unknown, and possibly
unknowable, length. This can include eternity. But I don't
know of any uses where it refers to times of less than at
least several years in duration, or at least the expectation
thereof.

Even the English word "forever" has some uncertainty, as
"a slave forever" refers only to the slave's natural life.
Death frees him. But I agree that the baggage that this
term has makes it not an accurate translation of (WLM.

Now I'm not a translator, but in this case I recognize that it
is a can of worms: do I go with paraphrasing, use different
terms for where it is appropriate, or develop a phrase to
use each time in a "literal" translation? When would a
phrase be accurate enough yet not onerous in itself? How
complex would it have to be in order accurately to
describe the Hebrew sense to those who have not studied
Hebrew?

In comparison, just writing dictionaries is easy.

Karl W. Randolph.