b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peter AT qaya.org>, "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite)
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:58:32 -0000

I think you all have valid points (except for the low blow against the NWT
which was completely unwarranted). 'Forever', is misleading because the word
is clearly used contexts which do not allow such a meaning. 'Time
indefinite', while it has honest intentions is funny language which even when
you take it apart could be misconstrued anyway. I think we need to find a
term or phrase which combines the intentions of 'time indefinite' with the
simplicity and clarity of 'forever' and yet clearly and concisely encaptures
the sense of both a long time and an undefined amount of time.

e.g.

'I saw her ages ago'
'We're going to have to wait for ages'
'He'll rule for ages'

etc.

I'm not saying that 'ages' or 'for ages' is always the best way to render
this but in many cases it seems to both capture the sense and not violate
common English usage. This is were I believe that good instincts prove
themselves to be more valuable than all the linguistic waffle that we are
sometimes bombarded with.

Security System.