b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Eccl 1:4 was Re: Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Eccl 1:4 was Re: Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite)
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:35:37 -0700

Paying attention to things like genre, context and clear authorial intent
hardly constitutes "interpretation." One of the most important questions we
can ask in translation and exegesis is "what questions should I be asking?"
This is true especially in a book like Ecclesiastes. Both the immediate and
wider context of the book make it quite clear that the author is not making a
theological statement in 1:4, but a comment about what things *seem to be*
from his limited (and somewhat despairing) perspective. A translation that
doesn't take such things into account is not giving the reader everything
s/he needs in order to make an interpretation.