b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite)
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:08:27 +0000

@Dr.Furuli:

Hello, I am having a hard time understanding your view of OLAM and the NWT.
That is fine you regard it as a good translation, however, in regards to OLAM
being translated as "time indefinite." I guess the question is how do you
define "indefinite?"

Indefinite usually means "unclear, uncertain, vague etc." I don't think this
is what OLAM is communciating. Because if the time is unclear that could be
referring to something that happened 10 minutes ago or even an hour ago.
It's simply not known.

Like if I took Duet 15:17. L:KA 'EVED 'OLAM and translated it is "and she
will be your servant for an unclear amount of time"

Halot has OLAM meaning, "long time duration, future time, a long time back,
eternal." I think the "long time" element is missing from time indefinite.
--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net