b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Sofits (was: consonant vowel order)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Sofits (was: consonant vowel order)
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:33:57 +0300

The ancient (paleo-) Hebrew script did not have sofit forms.

Sure

Their development is a purely calligraphic phenomenon, caused by not pulling the pen towards the next letter.

Even in Aramaic block characters, huh?

In Arabic, most letters have final forms. They have nothing to do with "unstressed letters".

I readily admit that final forms are a matter of calligraphy in Arabic. Similar end does not prove similar means, though.

As far as case endings, they don't really exist in Hebrew. There are theories about cases in early Hebrew, but these are only theories.

That I can agree, too, though the theories seem both good and substantiated by the use of prepositions.

Back to the sophits. You know about concatenation, melec gadol - mele cgadol. Concatenation creates consonantal clusters. Some clusters are impossible to pronounce: apparently, those starting with c, z, m, n, p. Opera singers I consulted all confirm this. They insert a short epenthetic sound to break such clusters. That is what Hebrew speakers apparently also did. Thus, melec(u) gadol. In other words, some consonants were (and are) always followed by epenthetic vowel in word-final positions for clear pronunciation. Sophit forms reflect that peculiar pronunciation with epenthetic vowel. Sophit forms are peculiarly elongated, suggesting that instead of the now-used (in singing) epenthetic vowel the word-final consonants might be elongated: meleh:hgadol.

Note that word connectors are common, even Jack's favorite Tagalog.

Vadim Cherny

To try to test my theory that Hebrew originally had only a
CV structure, and those at the end of words were usually
unstressed

That is kind of obvious. Does anyone really disputes the CV structure in
proto-Semitic?
Also note sophits, remnants of unstressed final vowels. Also, case endings.

Vadim Cherny