b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] consonant vowel order of )EHYEH & YAHWEH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] consonant vowel order of )EHYEH & YAHWEH
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 21:41:07 +0300

The example shows that unaccented long a can be pronounced as short o.

No, Vadim, vice versa in your Russian example. In Russian the phoneme "o" when it becomes unaccented is pronounced as a short "a" sound, or in fact more like English short "u"

Both relations hold. Long o, when losing accent, becames short a.
Long a, when losing accent, becomes short o, as in the example I quoted.

, but in any case indistinguishable from
unaccented "a". So, if Russian did have any relevance here, it would not support your theory. But then I don't accept that it has any relevance, for the overall phonological systems of Russian and Hebrew are extremely different.

Considering that I just showed how the Russian has hatef-kamatz, are they really so different?

Besides, the Russian example was only illustrative. In the hiphil YHWH, first vowel is a, and so composite schwa under hey is likely to be hatef-kamatz, pronounced o in Hebrew.
Less likely, is the composite schwa was hatef-patah, then very possibly the second a in Yahawah was taken for unaccented o by Europeans, and replaced with o.

Vadim Cherny