b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] consonant vowel order of )EHYEH & YAHWEH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] consonant vowel order of )EHYEH & YAHWEH
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:14:50 -0500

Peter:

To try to test my theory that Hebrew originally had only a
CV structure, and those at the end of words were usually
unstressed, I tried reading out loud in Hebrew adding an
unstressed "e" (short e) at the ends of words that did not
end in vowels, and the stresses almost automatically fell
on what is now the ending syllable. Now it could be that
that is just idiosyncratic to me, but I found it was a result
that I did not expect.

Karl W. Randolph.