b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] tenses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] tenses
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:51:02 +0100

Dear Vadim,

I do not want to hurt the feelings of anyone. But because of the terminology used and the approach to the subject, I see no reason to participate in the present discussion. If you want examples, please look at the Archives. And why don`t you look at the discussion of YIQTOL in Joüon/Muraoka where examples can be found as well?

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

That would be too generous. I will just read yiqtols as future tense where
Rolf sees intricate past sense.
I offered even more stringent approach. I asked Rolf publicly for the best
cases he can bring out. And I shown that they are either:
- straight future tense,
- repeatedly encountered turns like ci-yiqtol and caasher-yiqtol (that
suggests idiomatic meaning of etymologicallly future tense, often paralleled
in Russian and, to some extent, in English), or
- emphatic speech such that is likely to contain deictic shifts.

SNIP

If Rolf, with his immense experience in fishing for dubious
yiqtols, could bring just one such example, the discussion would be over.

SNIP

Vadim Cherny