b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Language Evolution

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Language Evolution
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 00:03:36 +0100

On 21/09/2005 23:14, Bill Rea wrote:

All objections to the validity of radio carbon dating are
answered by dendrochronology. There are a number of unbroken
sequences dating back several thousand years. The bristlecone
pine sequence from the White Mountains extends to 9,000 years
before the present. There are other sequences which extend
similar periods into the past.

There are also a number of very serious technical difficulties with dendrochronological dating, especially of anything related to the Middle East - which is based on unpublished data. While I certainly don't reject such methods out of hand like Karl and James, neither do I accept that all questions have been solved by some marvellous scientific wizardry.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)