b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] tenses - Ex 3:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] tenses - Ex 3:14
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:43:36 +0100

On 19/09/2005 08:33, Vadim Cherny wrote:

Let us first consider a method. How do you expect me to prove narrator's
deictic center? Psychoanalysis? No.

OK, so you are putting forward a hypothesis which is, by your own admission, unprovable - and for the same reason is unfalsifiable. As such it can only be a speculation.

What I can do - and what is the standard method of proof - is to show that
the observed facts are consistent with the hypothesis. Thus, for every
example of the supposedly irregular use of tenses (such as Michael's) I have
to show that:
a. The deictic center shift (assuming it happened) explains the usage of
tenses, and
b. That such shift is possible.

I think you need to suggest how it is even reasonable to consider that a habitual action in the past is described from a deictic centre shifted even further into the past, when there is no evidence at all for such a deictic shift.

To prove b), I invoke Russian and English examples, and show that such
shifts are not alien to human mentality.

The English example, "would" for a past habit, certainly does not indicate a deictic shift into the past. I can tell you that certainly from my mother tongue speaker intuition into English. As for your Russian examples, I can ask Russian mother tongue speakers next week.

If you think of any different method of proof acceptable to you and other
correspondents, let me know.

It is up to you to find a way to prove your own speculations. If there isn't one, your speculations are baseless.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)