b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] tenses - Ex 3:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] tenses - Ex 3:14
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:04:09 -0600

On Saturday 17 September 2005 00:53, Vadim Cherny wrote:
> > >Tense describes the reference time from narrator's point of view.
> > >
> > >That is to say, future tense must refer to the future from the
> > > narrator's deictic centre, and past tense likewise.
> > >
> > >Now, narrator's deictic centre might be shifted, and so future tense
> > >sometimes refers to the past events - from the point of view of the
>
> reader
>
> > >or of narrator's contemporaries. This is still future tense.
> > >
> > >Does that seem reasonable?
> >
> > Reasonable, but this definition of "future tense" does not apply to the
> > YIQTOL form in biblical Hebrew. This has already been demonstrated in
> > numerous examples.
>
> I don't understand. In recent discussion, I demonstrated that yiqtols are
> employed consistently as future tense with deictic shifts - on all the
> examples offered by the respondents. And I saw no objections from you. Now
> you say that yiqtol is not future tense.

Perhaps you didn't get response because you didn't "demonstrate" anything,
you
merely suggested or made a claim. There's a big difference. It's easy to
say "I think this is what it means," but it's not so easy to back it up with
real evidence that can't be controverted, and merely doing the former does
not constitute "demonstrating" anything, much less does it constitute your
previous claim to have "proved decisively" that your claim is true.

If you want to see examples where yiqtol is not future tense, see any number
of Rolf's posts. For myself, I have stayed out of this discussion because
it's clear you're not listening to anybody else.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur