b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 25:25, Different Lexemes & No Puns?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 25:25, Different Lexemes & No Puns?
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:36:11 -0500

Dear Bryan:

This is eisegesis.

The text merely says that he was reddish colored,
that he got the nickname of Red after demanding a
meal of red beans from his brother, and that he
ended up living in a place called Red. This is a
straightforward historical account. As for the red
meat comment, that is a modernism (slaughtering
a lamb is no less red meat than venison). In English
that is not a pun, why should we consider it one in
Hebrew?

In modern English it reads, "Esau was born with
reddish hair. But he got his nickname Red from
demanding a bowl of red bean stew from his
brother. Now he and his family live in a place we
call Red's Place, or, for short, just Red," Where's
the pun?

Karl W. Randolph.