b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 25:25, Different Lexemes & No Puns?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 25:25, Different Lexemes & No Puns?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:18:47 -0500

Chris:

Okay, okay, I don't see the joke. True, those
of us of Norwegian heritage have a reputation
of having no sense of humor, so my lack of
seeing the joke may be genetic, but I don't
see a joke when a people and their land are
named after their ancestor's nickname. Further,
that Esau got his nickname from two sources,
makes perfect, nonjoking sense. So where's the
pun?

Oh yes, the definition for pun that I use is
almost the same as the one you referenced below,
except I add even non-joking plays on words that
sound similar. But even with my expanded
definition, I still don't see a pun in
Genesis 25. Where's the play on words?

Karl W. Randolph.