b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 25:25, Different Lexemes & No Puns?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 25:25, Different Lexemes & No Puns?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:26:30 -0500

Jack:

Either your definition of a pun is different than mine, or the
examples you give below are not puns.

When I think of puns, I think of examples like when we as
kids played name the state capitals game: after a few months
we all could name the state, then immediately give the capital,
so to keep interest we started referring to "Home of the gods"
(Olympia, Washington), "Famous missionary" (St. Paul,
Minnesota) and among those were puns "Metropolis
underneath automobiles" (Cars On City (Carson City), Nevada)
and "Completely rabbit" (All Bunny (Albany), New York). Merely
calling a person's descendants and/or place after his nickname
does not fit my understanding of "pun", certainly not in English
nor in Biblical Hebrew.

Karl W. Randolph.