b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 25:25, Different Lexemes & No Puns?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 25:25, Different Lexemes & No Puns?
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:14:29 -0500

George:

This event is written not as a parable, but as a history. As
history, it has a perfectly logical cause and effect without
needing to resort to calling it punny.

I see what you and others are claiming. At the same time,
I say that your claim does not fit the literary style in which
the pericope is written. In short, the story gives the origin
of the person, the origin of his nickname, the plot of land
where he settled down which was named after his
nickname, and that his descendents were also called by
his nickname. In such a context, that is not a pun. The
context argues against this being taken as a pun.

Look at the context.

Karl W. Randolph.