b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 25:25, Different Lexemes & No Puns?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: tladatsi AT charter.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 25:25, Different Lexemes & No Puns?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:56:44 +0100

On 16/09/2005 04:49, tladatsi AT charter.net wrote:

Not the same lexeme?

The OT is quite clear that the nation of ?DM is supposed to be named after Esau s nickname ?DM (Gen 36:1 and 36:8). For this to be true, the two words would have to be the exact same lexeme. ...

I accept that the country name Edom is the same lexeme, the same name, as the personal name Edom.

... Esau s nickname was given to him because he asked his brother for a bowl of ?DM (Gen 25:30). There seems no way to me for someone to be named after a bowl of red stew and that name not being the same lexeme as the red stew. ...

I am not sure that I accept that a personal name can ever be the same lexeme as a common noun (at least when derived in this way - the opposite process e.g. "Hoover" is a different matter). When a common noun becomes used as a proper noun, I would suggest that it becomes a new lexeme - although the concept of lexeme may need to be extended to apply to proper nouns at all.

I note that it is usual practice in dictionaries which list proper names to list them as separate entries from common nouns, even where their form is identical and their derivational link is clear.

... Three of these words are unquestionable the same lexeme, each being a link in a chain of thing being named after each other, all of which are red. ...

Do we actually know that the stew was red, or this simply inferred from the Hebrew root?

... The only questionable word is ?DMNY which is universally translated in ancient times and modern as red, reddish, or ruddy (e.g., LXX purrakhv, Vulg. rufus). ...

This is certainly a distinct lexeme, formed from 'DM and a derivational suffix. You are misunderstanding the concept of lexeme by even suggesting the possibility that this is the same lexeme.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)