b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Semantics of paradigms

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Semantics of paradigms
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:42:57 +0300

Hebrew tenses are different from English tenses in that Hebrew commonly
employs deictic shifts, like Russian. Relying on English and German
grammatical mentality led many scholars to miss the consistency of tense
usage in Hebrew.

Now, I suggest that the same tendency of applying English grammatical
mentality may be behind the rejection of the semantical consistency of
paradigms. I would like to invite everyone to offer examples of verbs which
he thinks inconsistent with the paradigmal meaning (such as an active verb in
niphal). Then we would consider if perhaps the semantics is different in
other languages.

For example, hactiv, to dictate, is an active verb in English with no
immediate sense of causation. Yet, Hebrew emphasizes its causativeness, and
reasonably so: the relevance of dictation is in causing someone to write.

Another example: in English, to enter is active verb. Hebrew nicnas is
passive. Using niphal, however, makes sense, by entering, a person "is
joined," becomes together with others in the same place. This might seem far
relation, but in Russian a request to enter (literally, "come into") the room
could be answered with, "Join us!" (присоединяйтесь).

Other cases of seeming inconsistency of verb meanings with paradigmal
meanings might be explained similarly: paradigmal meaning of a verb is absent
in English but present elsewhere. Thus, strongest examples of inconsistency
are welcome, and let us analyze them.

Vadim Cherny