b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates or not (was Re: XSD)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates or not (was Re: XSD)
  • Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 06:45:03 -0500

George:

----- Original Message -----
From: "George F Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>

> It can also be mislearned. How many self-taught crackpots have you
> encountered? They think they understand what the Greek or Hebrew of a
> passage means because they can look up the words in Strong's Concordance.

This is the definition of laziness.

> From idiots like these, Oh Lord deliver us. On the other hand, a degree
> doesn't ensure sound judgment which is probably what these people are
> most lacking. I've seen people with less than a High School education
> who have done well in the world (or a Bill Gates who never even completed
> a college undergraduate course), but I wouldn't ask them an academic type
> question -- not even Bill Gates.

Before the publish or perish craze of the 20th century, when manuscripts of
dubious value with some gems among them flooded the scholarly publications,
all from PhDs, a person from outside the scholarly venue had a chance to be
heard. Even in academic style questions. Academic style research is not
cloistered in academia, as can be seen in the example that the epidemiology
study that demonstrated the existance of Lyme desease was done by a couple of
housewives who never had medical training. But they never had the hubris to
claim that their study qualified them to be MDs.

If you want to ask how to be a crooked businessman, ask Bill Gates or his
confedorate Balmer. But if you want to learn from a master in software
design, there are many, many who are far better. Making it finaancially and
excellence are all too often not related.

Hebrew is a language, and academic study is not the only way to master a
language. (I read a couple of years ago about an ESL teacher in China who
complained that he often met illiterate farmers who spoke better English than
his college students!) Academic study is just a more formalized way to study
a language.

> george
> gfsomsel

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com