b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates or not (was Re: XSD)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates or not (was Re: XSD)
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 01:31:27 +0100

Iposted twice because I thought the first one hadn't gone through. Sorry!

I'm all for studying alternative theories but enforcing students to agree
with them
is not a justifiable prerequisite.

The title of my course was MA Herbrew/Classical Greek. You can't get much
more linguistic
sounding than that. Here in GB Hebrew degrees are not that common and only a
few uni's offer
them. I searched long and hard for a purely linguistic course and this was
the best I could
find.
Anyway, I found the workaround. I shall be doing a Ph.D in Artificial
Intelligence and my
translation algorithms will give me the chance to put to good use the
hebrew/greek I learned at
St. Andrews without having to make any compromises.
I think that studying the NT could only be valuable to any Jew as it would
give a valuable insight
into an important part in your nation's history. From a historical point of
view the NT gives a
wealth of information about Hebrew practices and beliefs of that time. It
also provides you with a
wide view of how certain hebrew terms were translated and understood at that
time, a valuable link
when tracing the evolution of meaning of many hebre terms e.g. torah/nomos.
If anybody knows of a purely linguistic hebrew degree, I would dearly love to
know of one. Distance
learning would be best. Even OU doesn't offer a purely linguistic degree.