b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates or not (was Re: XSD)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates or not (was Re: XSD)
  • Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 00:43:00 +0100

On 03/09/2005 21:20, Karl Randolph wrote:

No, there are advantages, and disadvantages, to both.
One of the disadvantages to what I have done is revealed in my repeated requests on this forum for what cognate languages can reveal for some of the rarely used terms in Tanakh.

Karl, this is not my understanding of what you have done. It seems to me that rather you have repeatedly rejected or ignored all information given to you about what cognate languages can reveal for such terms. Indeed I thought you had rejected the principle that cognate languages can help, certainly that the common scholarly understanding of cognate languages can help.

The advantage is that I have a better feel for the language.

And I admire you for that.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)