b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:48:42 +0200

Ken,

This was exactly my point in my reply to Sujata, who was the one who brought
up the "regulations". He claimed that they were proof of the Pentateuch's
originally being written as one scroll; I pointed out that these
"regulations" were from the 2nd century CE AT THE EARLIEST and thus proved
nothing, except that AT THAT TIME some Jews did write the whole Torah on one
scroll. The later the regulations are, the less relevant they are to the
issue.

Yigal