b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] nevi

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JP vd Giessen" <jpvdgiessen AT freeler.nl>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] nevi
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 23:00:53 +0200

Before the 5th century BCE (in Babylonia) there was no astrology in the sense
of what later became known as such. Astrologers practices are more like
propitiatory rituals (namburbis) to different gods (such as Ba‘al), so that
may be called “pre”-Astrology.

See the article from Meir Bar-Ilan "Astronomy and Astrology Among the Jews in
Antiquity" (http://faculty.biu.ac.il/~testsm/astronomy%20and%20astrology.html)
for more details about this subject.

Jan Pieter van de Giessen
Aantekeningen bij de Bijbel www.jpvdgiessen.freeler.nl

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 19:36:01 +0000, Yitzhak Sapir wrote