b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] nevi

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] nevi
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:56:30 +0100

On Wed 17 Aug 2005 (17:03:01 +0100), k0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk wrote:
> Reading through Genesis I noticed that the first occurence of the word
> we translate as prophet is found in reference to Abraham. This
> reminded me of my Hebrew lecturer at St. Andrews who argued (years
> ago) that the orignal meaning of prophet meant something similar to
> 'forth teller' rather than 'fore teller' and that his primary
> characteristic was that of speaking out rather than that of predicting
> the future.

Dear James,

It seems from 1 Samuel 9:9 that one who "is now called a Prophet was in
times past called a Seer".

The Seer root R'H would be "clairvoyant", that is, predicting the future;
whereas a Prophet root NB' was one who announced the will of God, that is,
a forthteller.

The distinction between these nuances had obviously become blurred already
by the time of Samuel. 1 Chronicles 29:29 calls Samuel a Seer, Nathan a
Prophet, and Gad a Seer. 2 Chronicles 9:29 calls Nathan a Prophet, but
Iddo a Seer. 2 Chronicles 12:15 calls Shemaiah a Prophet, and Iddo a Seer
(again). In 2 Chronicles 29:25 Gad is the king's Seer, whereas Nathan is
the Prophet.

The BHS is divided into three sections: the Torah (Law), Nebi'im (Prophets)
and K:thubiym, (Writings). In the GNT these three are subsumed under the
phrase "the Law and the Prophets", referring to all the Hebrew Scriptures
(Matthew 7:12 and numerous examples).

You are right in saying that the role of a Prophet in Scripture is both
foretelling and forthtelling, according to the Word of the LORD. Abraham
was given future predictions concerning the Land and his Seed. This involved
foretelling as well as forthtelling.

Shalom
Ben
--