b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] nevi

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] nevi
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:40:01 -0700

The phrase "intended to exclude" in Peter's post below isn't particularly helpful, in my opinion, because canonical labels aren't usually keyed to what they _exclude_, but what they _include_. As a reminder, there's a big debate still unresolved about the canonical process that led to the Tanakh, and at what stage that process was when the gospel writers put pen to parchment. My own view, based on research that I haven't revisited in the last couple of years, is that the Kethuvim was still in flux around the edges during this period (a few books in question), but of course there's a lot of reasoning and data behind that, which I don't really care to type here at this point. ;-)

I guess my point is that "we can't be sure" is the most solid thing we can say about the status of the Kethuvim in the early 1st century CE and even a bit later. When some of the "later" (e.g., 3rd-4th century CE) Christian "fathers" wanted to compile lists of Jewish scripture, their presumably Jewish informants gave them varying information. On the other hand I do think that references to "the Law and the Prophets" already basically mean the same thing we mean by Torah and Nevi'im, and already in the days of Ben Sirah.

Best wishes,

Chris