b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com
  • To: evi7538 AT yahoo.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 14:48:14 EDT

In a message dated 8/4/2005 12:13:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
evi7538 AT yahoo.com writes:

> Another note on the subject. The reason I'm asking is that this verse was a
> basis of Meister Ekchart's claim that God created evil (see his
> "Commentaries on Genesis" C.36), and this statemen of course was condemned
> by Roman
> Pontificat. Probably Vulgata really has "evil" in this verse (I don't have
> Vugata
> text , so I'm just guessing), and it looks like Ekchart interpreted this
> verse of Isaiah literally.
>
> Evgeny

Hi Evgeny,

I copied and pasted the following text on Is. 45:7 from Vines' Dictionary,
found in my Bible Software, I thought you might find it interesting.

"Topics: SIN
Transliterated: ra'

"Text: "bad; evil; wicked; sore." The root of this term is disputed. Some
scholars believe that the Akkadian term raggu ("evil; bad") may be a cognate.
Some scholars derive ra' from the Hebrew word ra'a' ("to break, smash,
crush"),
which is a cognate of the Hebrew rasas ("to smash, break to pieces"); rasas
in
turn is related to the Arabic radda ("to crush, bruise"). If this derivation
were correct, it would imply that ra' connotes sin in the sense of
destructive
hurtfulness; but this connotation is not appropriate in some contexts in
which ra' is found."

Rev. Doug Pickrel
Tejas Valley
San Antonio, Texas