b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Evgeny Ivanov <evi7538 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 10:03:43 -0700 (PDT)

Is.45:7 says "I (God) make peace and create evil" - BoRe Ra. LXX translates
Ra here as êáêá (kaka) - "bad". English NIV translates "I bring prosperity
and create disaster". I guess the "correct" translation really depends on
exegesis. But from the linguistic point of viev, is Ra always means "evil",
or it is legitimate to translate it also as "disaster" for example? Another
note - the verb here is BaRa that usually applies to God creating something
that didn't exist before. The translation echoes to theology - did God
created evil, or He just allowed the creatures with free will to do evil?

Shalom,
Evgeny

>From evi7538 AT yahoo.com Thu Aug 4 13:13:35 2005

h=Message-ID:Received:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;

b=bjH/ewHoH2JfoDKYHcC6Sin7WSCrPz/FLTpqiDV4JW9PUPV9xAdFrPs/c+i2Tx+tSORGnceFgCtcUcjkqQK6XcUgCr1IvQ8ZsioVosbILDB7h+rqu17Dwnu6NJj3fx6GqlYEYiIfK+K4KNky+uFMUT0FTk3FvuqHLnLjulmEaEw=
;