b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Tetragrammaton; aia; is there a name in Ex3:14?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Tetragrammaton; aia; is there a name in Ex3:14?
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:13:00 EDT

By translators in the LXX *tradition* who render Ehyeh at Exodus 3:14 as "I
Will Be" I was referring to Aquila and Theodotion (1st - 2nd centuries CE),
who render ESOMAI hOS ESOMAI here.

The LXX as represented by Rahlfs does not really translate EHYEH ASHER EHYEH
literally, but attempts to interpret it: EGW EIMI hO WN, "I am The Being
[=Existing One]." Yet, as you noted, the LXX renders the same word EHYEH in
verse 12 as ESOMAI: ESOMAI META SOU, "I will be with you."

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 08/03/2005 8:27:17 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
peterkirk AT qaya.org writes:

>Certain ancient translators of the LXX (Greek Septuagint) tradition
rendered
>Ehyeh at Exodus 3:14 plainly as ESOMAI, "I Will Be."

My LXX (Rahlfs edition) has EGW EIMI hO WN "I am the being (one)" at
3:14 with no note of any textual differences. But it does have ESOMAI in
v.12.

--
Peter Kirk